Monday, August 8, 2011

Two weeks of emails

Here are the last two weeks of emails that we got from Bryce. As I was reading the blog I realized that some things don't make sense because he is answering questions so I am going to edit the emails so they make more sense. Hopefully some pictures from Thailand will come soon.

This is from August 1

Tell CC to start getting her hands dirty and helping with her car. Well I will be home in about two years so it can wait that long I need something to do besides find a job and a wife. I thought you would enjoy that last one. I will need some time to adjust when I get back so don’t let me drive for a while. They drive on the opposite side of the road here. One thing I was very surprised when I got here was the cars. They are actually really nice here and some of Toyota's coolest designs are here. CC would love the little cars that I see everyday but they have some pretty good and nice cars here but like I said before most people just have scooters. Most things here are actually cold. Every house that we go into they give us a glass of water with ice or from the fridge. So we get a lot of cold drinks here. I did learn that Thailand is actually the worlds leading ice production. I don’t know if that is true at all but another elder told me that so its probably not. They do make really good smoothies here though. Not sure if I told you but there are 7 elevens everywhere so we are in there a lot and they have some of the best ice cream there. I haven’t eaten a lot but my favorite so far is fried chicken with rice and papaya salad. The salad is not like a normal salad at all. It is made with peppers, green beans, and sour papaya. It is even spicy for thai people tell Keith that I will make it for him when I get back because it is super easy to make all you do is smash all of it together and I think that I will be able to find it all in the states. They also have this rotten fish sauce that is really good and a sweet chili sauce. There is just a lot of good food here and it is actually really easy to make. One thing that I love is getting food off of the carts. Here Buriram is famous for these carts of food that they just have meat on sticks and you just stand there and pick what ever you want dip it in a thing of sauce and they have a thing of cucumber there and you just eat until you are done. You count your sticks and then you pay. I wish they had that in the U.S. I will miss it so much. We ride about 5-8 miles a day depending where we have to go and some people are very far away and everything is pretty far from our house. Some days we ride a lot and others we don’t ride very much. One day I was in a city call Surin and we rode a lot that day but some days we don’t ride very much at all. One thing that you would love is that the cops don’t pull people over unless people are not wearing helmets on bikes or scooters. The cops just choose a day and they all just sit in one place and pull people without helmets over but the ticket is only 100 baht so people just pay and still not wear a helmet. Not a lot has happened this week. We have been teaching this old man who is just way funny. He tries to speak English to us and he loves us. He doesn’t understand a lot of what we teach but he wants to know. He is way awesome!

Not much has happened this week. It was really good but just really busy because we did a lot of traveling. We did have one day where it was only greenies in one city and that was awesome! It really was so much fun! I prayed so hard the night before that I would be able to do something that day and I had no problem communicating. I really did feel the power of God and the gift of tongues. When I got back I couldn’t speak as well but I really did learn about the power of prayer. The Lord is with me so much and I feel his help every day and he strengthens me so much. Next week I'm going to write more I promise that I will write more! Look up 1Nephi 18:3. I never thought about that scripture before and look up 2 Nephi 31 and 32. It has some way awesome stuff.

-Elder Bryce Revelli


This is from August 8

Not a lot of kids are born into the covenant here. The ones that are the parents name them after church names. One of them is named Alma and another is named Zion. It actually sounds really cool in Thai and how Thai people say it. This week not a lot happened. Elder Gudmundsen had to go to Bangkok with another elder to get his visa work done, They have changed our visas to working visas instead of proselytizing ones. Since the new Prime Minister was elected they are really trying to get all of the useless people in Thailand out. So we had to change them and we had to take pictures of us teaching English class so they could have proof that we were a benefit to the country. It was actually really scary for a little bit because some people got denied. If all of us would have gotten denied then we would have all been sent to Malaysia for a little and if it still didn’t work out we would all have been sent home but it all worked out. It is more proof that Heavenly Father really wants us to be here. This week I was in a place called Surin for a couple of days with an elder from Laos. He is different and has some stuff to work out but he is way awesome. Surin is apparently the elephant capital of Thailand. There are a lot there. A couple of weeks ago I got to go and see an elephant parade where they decorated them with lights and stuff. It was so so so so awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a lot has happened though this week. We do have a baptism in the next couple of weeks. He is way awesome! He is willing to keep everything thing that we teach him and he really wants to be a missionary after he is baptized. He has so much faith. This transfer is actually really short. Usually a transfer is about 6 weeks but this one is only going to be five because president Smith needs to go to Hong Kong for something.

Things are really now starting to click. I can talk to people a lot if I really really try hard and listen and I asked Elder G to correct me when ever I say something wrong and that is helping a lot. Thai people also help out when i am talking to them. There is one member who helps me a lot. Her nickname means watermelon in Thai. She is an awesome member. She is one of the ward missionaries and she just takes everything that we say and just does it without any questions. Elder g told her to start taking her Book of Mormon everywhere like she would do with her cell phone and she said she would and every time that we see her she has it with her. She also invites all of her friends to learn but most of them are never interested but they all come to the English class.

Not sure if I told you about English yet but it is so much fun. People here ha e a very hard time making some of the sounds that we make. They can’t really do th r and l ch and sh and they really struggle with s sounds when they come at the end of a word. They also cant say their z's very well but they love it. They get r and l mixed up because in Thai people get lazy and they turn their r sounds into l sounds. Especially where i am. Where i am they speak Thai but they also speak Cambodian and they speak something that is call easan. It has some lao in it and it is mainly used for slang and talking to people you know. So I’m learning another language. We did get to start teaching a person from Austrailia. He is very interesting. He wants to renew his faith but just needs to take some steps to do it. Another man named roger we think had a breakthrough. We usually can never control the lesson because he likes to talk a lot about a lot of things so we are never able to teach him. This time we just asked him if we could talk about apostasy and the pattern of gospel dispensations. We talked a lot still but he let us teach him and we also taught about proper authority. He cried after the prayer and we really hope that he gets his answer soon.

Something that I was thinking about this last week is the scripture in Alma. The one where it says that by small and simple things great things come to pass. I thought about this a lot and I have noticed that by small and simple things people fall away from the church too. We talked about it a lot and the reason why we have to many people who are not active in the church here is because they stop reading and praying everyday. Those have always been the first steps. I never realized how dangerous it was to stop doing those things everyday until i saw what it does to people. Elder Bryce Revelli

P.S. I do want NFL updates and know how the U is doing.

Today me and my comp were talking about cowboys and aliens because they have the preview in 7 all of the time. We have seen a lot of movie previews there and they all look awesome! There was one time where we stayed for a little and we just watched the Captain America preview for a little. We felt a little guilty but it looked so cool. I will take a picture this next week of the rice fields. They are really awesome actually and every once in a while there is tree in one and it is just a sea of green. It looks just like grass and it is so green. I love it here and I love the Thai people.

-Elder Bryce Revelli

-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.